For years now I have envied my non GF family and friends when I serve up cheese and biscuits (especially at Xmas) and wish I had my own recipe for a really crispy cheese biscuit. Well, after lots of attempts and quite a few disasters accompanied by a big helping of my temperamental chef attitude I have finally done it. Remember to leave the biscuits in the oven until it is cold.
BAKED TO TASTE
GLUTEN FREE OATS
CHEESE AND OAT BISCUITS
30g of mixed seeds (I used a premix of sunflower, pumpkin, hemp seeds and golden linseed).
220g Baked to Taste gluten free oats
1/2 teaspoon of salt
100g butter (chopped into small pieces)
150g grated mature cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda mixed with 2 tablespoons of boiling water
Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas 5
Grease a baking tray with butter or parchment paper
- Put the mixed seeds and oats into a food processor and process until they are like fine breadcrumbs
- Add the grated cheese and butter and blend until the mixture starts to form a ball.
- Mix in the water and bicarbonate of soda and blend again until a smooth ball of dough is formed.
- Take golf-sized pieces of dough and form into balls. Place on the baking tray and flatten with your hands, smoothing around the edges to make a neat circle. These do not spread so can be placed quite close together.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn oven off and leave the biscuits in the oven until the oven is cold. This will make the biscuits lovely and crunchy and help to increase the shelf life.
- Makes 40. Store in an airtight tin. These have kept really fresh for 10 days in my household until they are all gone, so could possibly last longer if you can resist them.